Hannah's Blog

Challenge #2

| 3 Comments

challenge #2

Choosing to give the gift of life

Your probably wondering what the “Gift of Life” is, it means choosing to become an organ donor. Giving an organ is the most amazing gift you could give. In my opinion, I really hope that you will become one and make a difference.

Canada has some of the most highly skilled surgeons and respected transplant hospitals. In 2011, 2,169 lifesaving organs transplant were performed in Canadian hospitals. Ninety – eight percent of all kidney transplants, ninety percent of liver transplants and eighty-five percent of heart transplants are successful.

Unfortunately, the number of people in need for a transplant continues to rise faster than the number of donors. By donating an organ you could possibly save eight life’s or more and a family from sadness. Each day approximately seventy-seven people receive organ transplants, however about eighteen people die each day just waiting for a transplant.

Many people donate because other human’s organs or tissues no longer function. Most organ donation occur after the donors death, the organs that can be transplanted included the heart, liver, kidney, pancreases, intestines and lunges, as well as skin, bones, bone marrow and lots more. If one of your family member or anyone else was in need for a transplant, you can still donate while alive which include a kidney and also a part of your lungs, liver, intestine and pancreases.

There are no age limits on who can be an organ donor. There has been newborns and senior citizen that have donated. If you are younger than 18 you must have a parent or guardian consent. If you are interested in becoming a donor all you need to do is get in touch with your family doctor and they will tell you all you need to know, you can also visit this website at www.beadonor.ca . You will fill out one form and receive a card, it’s really that easy.

There are so many inspirational stories about organ donation and the one I am going to tell you about a girl named Diamond, she started dancing at the age of five years old. Diamond passion was to dance but unfortunately everything she danced she would experience feeling very tired and rundown. A year later, at the age of six doctors figured out that Diamond was born with a bad liver, after numerous tests they also found out that her kidney was in bad shape too. Diamond is now a healthy 16 year old girl because of a boy she has never met and never will. Diamond’s donor was an eleven year old boy named Jacob. Jacob was killed while riding this bike when returning home from school. Jacob donated his kidney and liver to Diamond. Three weeks before Jacob was hit, he told his dad he wanted to become someone’s hero. Well his wish has come true, Jacob is now Diamond’s hero for giving her the gift of life but also letting her dance again.

Now that you have the facts and heard a very inspirational story, you can see that becoming an organ donor can make a huge difference in not only just one person’s life but multiple lives. Hopefully you will help change someone’s life and become a hero.

3 Comments

1. What an inspirational essay, Hannah. The story of Jacob and Diamond is a very moving one. I am happy to say that I am an organ donor. As a cancer survivor, I’ve gained a deep appreciation for life and try not to take it for granted that I have mine and could possibly some day help another person keep theirs.

You did a good job of incorporating research, personal commentary, and an anecdote into your essay. Very impressive work!

2. very touching , i almost cried while reading Diamond’s story .. Jacob is now our hero :/
    you can check another great story at my blog , if you like it , feel free to comment 🙂
    http://arwaseghir.edublogs.org/2013/03/31/a-very-significant-image-that-i-wanted-to-share-with-you/

3. Hello 🙂
    It’s very interesting post! I think that people who do similar things are amazing!

Welcome to my blog 🙂
    http://kidblog.org/MrsFlowersClass3/author/julia698597/